Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Henna tattoos

 

Henna tattooing  is not characteristic for my culture and I have always found it mystical and heavily symbolic. 
As a student I used to give a copper shine to my hair by dyeing it with red henna, but I have never tried henna tattooing. To tell the truth even if I wanted there were any studios that would do that. At least not back then. 

I do not like tattoos and I don't have any nor I would ever have, but if I get a chance I would henna tattoo my hands again! I did that when we were traveling Tunisia and had a lovely, flowery tattoo made by a street tattooist. I had chosen a design that had flowers, vines and leaves without knowing the meaning then -  later I discovered they represent happiness and joy, devotedness and vitality.

Below I have chosen some gorgeous and intricate tattoos I don't think I would muster the courage to have them myself.


How about you? Do you like henna tattoos? What designs would you choose?


 
via

 
via


Popular Henna Design Meanings:

Peacock: The proud peacock symbolizes beauty. Swans: Symbolize success and beauty.
Birds:Birds serve as the messengers between heaven and earth.
Dragonflies and butterflies: Symbolize change and rebirth. 
Paisley designs:Intricate and scrolling paisleys can represent fertility and luck. 
Flowers: Flowers and petals symbolize pure happiness and joy.
Vines and leaves: Vines and leaf henna designs often represent devotion and vitality and are perfect for marriage celebrations. Snakes and lizards:Reptiles are often considered the seekers of enlightenment in henna practices.


Here's a brief explanation how henna tattoos are done.

6 comments:

Mrs. C said...

So pretty! I did a henna tattoo on my ankle one time...I used to henna my hair when I was younger also! :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I've had them done a couple of times. It is lovely at first, but then starts to fade and doesn't look so nice. Real tattoos seem to be all the rage these days. So many people getting them, lots of them. Not something I quite get but to each his own. I would much rather something be temporary. Have a wonderful day. Tammy

Divya N said...

pretty design - You could get henna cones and try it yourself. In India we have different categories of patterns - Arabic (floral), Rajput(similar to what you have here but sometimes with faces too) then the South indian version which is just blobs (circles) of henna applied based on geometry

Unknown said...

The intricate patterns of henna are a sheer delight. I'm very fond of their elegance. Such a shame that nowadays tattoos are on almost everyone, they're no longer culture related as with the Maori for instance. I don't have one either, since I truly believe that the best adornment is your skin itself ;-) But I am intrigued by the stories these henna patterns seem to tell!
Ira’s Crea Corner

Agy said...

I love henna "tattoos". The ladies in my country also use them as a natural nail varnish - it gives their nails an orange tinge.

Sum of their Stories said...

I have a friend who does Mehndi for Indian weddings here in the UK, the stuff she does is amazing. She did teach me the basics but anything I did was very beginnerish. It is a lovely thing to do though, very meditative as you apply it, and then wait for it to dry. You can't really do anything else so it is very calming and relaxing. I've not done any for years, you have made me want to give it a go again.