Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Hygge - or the Philosophy of Appreciating Simple Life

 
 
 
I love hygge. I am living it, embracing it, breathing it with my soul, eyes and lungs open. To be honest, we have lived our lives following the hygge philosophy blissfully unaware there was such a  term into existence. But the Danish philosophy has taken over the world this past year and flipped it around.  
 
 
 
Hygge is a tricky word to define, it's a feeling, an experience, a sensation. If you ask Wiki, it will tell you that hygge is a word used to denote coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and content. It means creating a warm atmosphere, enjoying the simple things, taking life slowly, one step at a time, appreciating it with every single tread.
 
The year is at its end and we vowed to try being and living hyggier in the new year. It is not a resolution, but sheer determination. Are you into hygge?
 


 
All images taken from Pinterest via the hygge search

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Enjoying the simple things and slowing down is exactly how I want life to be. You've captured it very well in the pictures.
You couldn't have chosen a better intention for 2018!

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Many of us have this desperate need to decelerate, to ground, to concentrate on the really important things in life, to regain control over one's life (as far as we ever were in control), to start living the life we'd like to live. I guess Hygge is just one of those fads that are popular now, but soon will disappear again and be forgotten, even though we are still craving for a better life... I love the idea, I love the feeling, I love the pictures you've chosen. Let's hope for a better life!

Kate said...

Hygge is very comfortable but I fear that if it were embraced by too many the retailers would suffer. :) I like the photos you've used.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Sigrid. It feels like it does need a push on a global level so the world slows down. So. As it is, we are starting locally :)

Maya Kuzman said...

I don't care whether it will remain to exist and be practiced by the trend setters. I want my family to live it.

Maya Kuzman said...

Haha... you've got a good point there Kate!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

While waiting for my boys to arrive Saturday on yet another delayed flight, I bought a little book called "Live Lagom" the Swedish word for Hygge. I do think we all create cozy simplicity in our homes some way or another.

Alhana said...

I confess I've been at a loss reading about hygge here and there over this year and not being able to grasp its meaning. However I'm all in for cosyness and slow and simple life, whatever the name. :-)
The pictures you chose are very soothing and calming.

handmade by amalia said...

I like this cozy simplicity as well. It is especially nice for winter, which the Danes have more than we do :-) A fantastic collection of photos, I must say.
Amalia
xo